Thursday, June 17, 2010

I CANT STAND THE POETRY BUT LOVE THE ANALYSIS

MY VOCABULARY DID THIS TO ME  THE COLLECTED POETRY OF JACK SPICER ed. by Peter Gizzi and Kevin Killian Middletown,CT; 2009,Wesleyan University 2008, hb,no price listed, ISBN 978-0-8195-6887-8  .

Even though this book is almost two years ago I am sure it is still readily available.  Now I am no fan of the work of Jack Spicer. To me his work with its pain , self pitying and self absorbness seems all that is terribly wrong with modern mainstream poetry.  Yet I found this book a worthy read.  The editors do an excellent examination on how the poet's sad life created the poetry he wrote.  I never read a better examination of the creative process in poetry.  I wouldn't buy the book but I certainly go to the library to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment